Pollution is the price we pay for an overpopulated, over industrialized planet. When you come to think about it, there are only four ways you can deal with rubbish: dump it, burn it, turn it into something you can use again, attempt to produce less of it. We keep trying all four methods, but he sheer volume of rubbish we produce worldwide threatens to overwhelm us.
Rubbish, however, is only part of the problem of polluting our planet. The need to produce ever-increasing quantities of cheap food leads to a different kind of pollution. Industrialized farming methods produce cheap meat products: beef, pork and chicken. The use of pesticides and fertilizers produces cheap grain and vegetables. The price we pay for cheap food may be already too high: Mad Cow Disease (BSE) in cattle, salmonella in chicken and eggs, and wisteria in dairy products. And if you think you'll abandon meat and become a vegetarian, you have the choice of very expensive organically-grown vegetables or a steady diet of pesticides every time you think you're eating fresh salads and vegetables, or just having an innocent glass of water!
However, there is an even more insidious kind of pollution that particularly affects urban areas and invades our daily lives, and that is noise. Burglar alarms going off at any time of the day or night serve only to annoy passers-by and actually assist burglars to burgle. Car alarms constantly scream at us in the street and are a source of profound irritation. A recent survey of the effects of noise revealed (surprisingly?) that dogs barking incessantly in the night rated the highest form of noise pollution on a scale ranging from 1 to 7. The survey revealed a large number of sources of noise that we really dislike. Lawn mowers whining on a summer's day, late-night parties in apartment blocks, noisy neighbors, vehicles of al kinds, especially large container trucks thundering through quiet village, planes and helicopters flying overhead, large radios carried round in public places and played at maximum volume. New technology has also made its own contribution to noise. A lot of people object to mobile phones, especially when they are used in public places like restaurants or on public transport. Loud conversations on mobile phones invade our thoughts or interrupt the pleasure of meeting friends for a quiet chat. The noise pollution survey revealed a rather spurring and possibly amusing old fashioned source of noise. It turned out to be snoring! Men were found to be the worst offenders. It was revealed that 20% of men in their mid-thirties snore. This figure rises to a staggering 60% of men in their sixties. Against these figures, it was found that only 5% of women snore regularly, while the rest are constantly woken or kept awake by their trumpeting partners. Whatever the source of noise, one thing is certain: silence, it seems, has become a golden memory.
[flvplayer http://bcs.duapp.com/newce1/media/3-47.mp4 400 300]
（Attention： The following points are not covered by the video. It is better for you to watch the video or listen to the MP3 first and try to take notes on your own. Then you may check here to get more details. ）
1. 推荐背诵：Pollution is the price we pay for an overpopulated, over industrialized planet. 污染就是我们为这个人口过密、过度工业化的星球所付出的代价。
the price we pay for 为...负出代价，如：
Losing health is the price he paid for his hard work. 失去健康是他过度工作而负出的惨重代价。
2. There are only four ways you can deal with rubbish: dump it, burn it, turn it into something you can use again, attempt to produce less of it.
dump it, burn it, ... produce less of it, 并列平行结构，如：
There are some good ways to study English well: listen, speak, read and write. 强调动作study
There are four good ways to study English: listening, speaking, reading and writing. 强调方法ways
另外句中，turn it into something you can use again可以改成reuse it或 recycle it更简洁些。
3. 推荐背诵：We keep trying all four methods, but the sheer volume of rubbish we produce worldwide threatens to overwhelm us.
threaten to do 威胁，预示(危险)，如：
The coming earthquake threatens the village. 即将发生的地震威胁着这个村庄。Dark clouds threaten a heavy storm. 乌云预示着有一场风暴。(threaten 预测厄运)The sun promises a good day. 阳光预示着一个好的日子。(promise 预测好的未来)
4. 推荐背诵：The need to produce ever-increasing quantities of cheap food leads to a different kind of pollution. 日益增长的对廉价食物的需求导致了另一种形式的污染。
leads to: result in, cause, bring about 导致
5. However, there is an even more insidious kind of pollution that particularly affects urban areas and invades our daily lives, and that is noise.
However, even more insidious, particularly 等词，很好地衔接了上下文，强调了第三段所要论述的噪音的危害性，注意体会。
6. 推荐背诵：Car alarms constantly scream at us in the street and are a source of profound irritation. 在街上，汽车的防盗警报不断对我们吼叫，这是人们极度烦燥的一个原因。
to be a source of 是...的来源，比较规范的用澳门公海赌船app下载，如：
Her husband earns a lot of money every month and he is a source of income. 他的丈夫每月能赚很多钱，这是他的一棵摇钱树。
7. 推荐背诵：The survey revealed a large number of sources of noise that we really dislike.
8. 推荐背诵：New technology has also made its own contribution to noise. 新技术也为噪音作了贡献。(本句有讽刺意味)
make contribution to 对...作出贡献
contribute to 引起，导致，是......的起因，如：
Air pollution contributes to disease. 空气是一些疾病的原因。
9. Men were found to be the worst offenders. 人类是这方面的罪魁祸首。
offend:惹怒 offender 罪魁祸首
were found: 强调客观描述 It is said...据说 It is revealed...据批露
10. 20% of mem in their mid-thirties在他们35岁左右
对应的有：in their early thirties 30刚出头 in their late thirties 将近40岁
11. 推荐背诵：Against these figures, it was found that ... 依据这组数字，和这组数字相比
也可以改成这种结构：Comparing these figures, we found that...
12. Whatever the source of noise, one thing is certain: silence, it seems, has become a golden memory.
对比一个句子：However you decide to spend your time, one thing is certain: you will arrive at your destination fresh and uncrumpled. （NCE3 Lesson44）
1c 2b 3a 4c 5a 6c 7a 8a 9c 10c 11a 12b